Popovers are an AMAZING treat that, for some reason, aren’t as popular in this country as they are in England. These big puffy balls, crispy on the outside and just a little bit custardy on the inside, are really quite easy to prepare and make a dramatic breakfast treat.
Because they are basically a souffle, they must be served just-out-of-the-oven, traditionally with orange or strawberry butter.
To make them, you will need 8 or 12 small oven-proof ramekins, a baking sheet to set them on, a mixer, and non-stick spray coating (Pam).
6 whole Eggs
2 c Milk
6 T Butter, melted
2 c Flour
1 tsp Salt
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Thoroughly grease 12 6-ounce ramekins. Set them on a jelly roll pan or large cookie sheet.
- Beat eggs in large bowl with electric mixer on medium until frothy. Mix in butter, then milk.
- Beat in flour at low speed.
- Fill ramekins 2/3 full. Place on tray in oven. Bake for 50 minutes.
- Serve warm with orange or strawberry butter.